On June 16, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas signed HB 2056 into law, making it legal for Texas dentists to provide teledentistry services to their patients. Among other provisions, the law:
- Requires informed consent from the patient
- Establishes standards of care for teledentistry
- Protects patient privacy
- Promotes care for underserved areas
- Addresses teledentistry’s use in treating patients with special needs
- Sets up rules for Medicaid and teledentistry
- Requests biennial reports on teledentistry’s effectiveness
- Empowers the Texas Medical Board and State Board of Dental Examiners to set rules for teledentistry
Building up teledentistry services from scratch can seem daunting, but there are tools and resources out there that make it easy. From guides on how to see patients to tools like Delta Dental – Virtual Consult that help you easily expand your practice, Delta Dental makes it easy for you to find success with teledentistry.
Interested? Just fill out the interest form and we’ll reach out to you about getting started with Virtual Consult.