FYI

Dentist blog from Delta Dental

Category: Community (Page 3 of 4)

See how Delta Dental supports its local communities through the Delta Dental Community Foundation, and discover what network dentists are doing to serve their local communities.

Dentist spotlight: Dr. Sheri Watson-Hamilton

Meet Dr. Sheri Watson-Hamilton, DMD, our Dental Health Partner of the Month. Dr. Watson-Hamilton is passionate about dental health and provides care to uninsured and underserved patients.

Based in South Florida, Dr. Watson-Hamilton works at the Martin Luther King Jr. Clinica Campesina Health Center. This full-service facility provides dental care alongside urgent care, primary care and more. It’s part of the nonprofit health care organization Community Health of South Florida, Inc., or CHI, which offers affordable, quality health care services to local residents.

Why did you decide to become a dentist?

I’ve always wanted to practice in the medical field. As a child I would always ask anyone I was close to, “Let me see your teeth!”

What really helped me decide on dentistry was when I volunteered at a dental office during undergrad. I saw how a patient would come in with pain and receive immediate relief. Patients would come in with self-esteem issues and once their teeth were restored, they’d leave the office smiling confidently — no longer hiding their teeth.

How long have you been practicing?

For 24 years.

Tell us one of your funniest stories from the dental office.

During one of my appointments, I had a set of twins as patients. One was a really great patient — the other was really dramatic. At one of the visits, the dramatic twin was hesitant about the visit, as always. Once the anesthesia was placed, she looked up at me and said, “If you do that again, I’m gonna call 991!” — meaning 911.

What do you consider dentistry’s biggest challenge?

Getting patients to value their teeth and their smile.

What do you do in your free time?

I enjoy spending my free time with my immediate family.

Congratulations, Dr. Sheri Watson-Hamilton! Thank you for your work.

You can find out more about Dr. Sheri Watson-Hamilton and CHI by visiting the CHI website or following the organization on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.

Student Leadership Award winners announced

Twenty-nine exceptional dental school students were recently recognized, each with a $10,000 award, by the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation.

Deans and faculty at dental schools throughout our enterprise region handpicked the award winners for their strong leadership skills, dedication to serving others and passion for the field of dentistry.

The students were presented with their award at their dental school’s commencement or awards ceremony. Check out the Foundation on Facebook and visit us on Instagram (@ddccfoundation) for photos of the winners.

The 2018 Delta Dental Community Care Foundation Student Leadership Award winners:

Joseph M. Youssef, University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry

Giana Maria Lupinetti, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

Kathryn Champion, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine

Mechay Rush Gray, University of Alabama School of Dentistry

Rakeb Tilahun, Howard University College of Dentistry

Ashley Boettger, University of Utah School of Dentistry

Samuel Lovejoy, Roseman University College of Dental Medicine

Pete Angelo Petrides, West Virginia University School of Dentistry

Tanya Sue Maestas, University of Texas School of Dentistry in Houston

Amanda Mitchell, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Dentistry

Lauren Brubaker, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry

Jay H. Patel, Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry

Lam Bui, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Stephen C. Rogers, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine

Taylor Cohen, University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine

Rachel Vorwaller, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine

Sana Nasir, New York University College of Dentistry

Tyler Samuel Wheeler, University of Mississippi School of Dentistry

Jessica Grenfell, Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine

Margaret M. Saludis, University of Maryland School of Dentistry

Edward Dark Starr, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry

Dahlia Levine, Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University

Austin Belknap, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, School of Dental Medicine

Alejandro Quesada, University of Florida College of Dentistry

Diana Heineken, Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine

Melissa Toni Lin, University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry

Jin Ki Kang, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of the University of Southern California

Albert Scott Young, University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry

Kyle Leis, Loma Linda University School of Dentistry

Learn more about the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation at deltadentalins.com/about/community/philanthropy.

Something to smile about: A note from Family Healthcare of Hagerstown

The Delta Dental Community Care Foundation received the following letter from the Family Healthcare of Hagerstown, a health and dental care clinic for low-income residents of Washington County, Maryland. The Foundation has awarded grants to Family Healthcare of Hagerstown since 2012.

The letter emphasizes in a quiet way how much good can be done with a strong dentist-patient-Delta Dental connection. The patient’s name was changed for privacy purposes.

Dear Delta Dental Community Care Foundation, 

We want to share with you the story of one of our patients who was helped by your generous funds. Charles is a man in his thirties who was scheduled for a kidney transplant in November of 2016. 

Charles lives below the poverty level, has a wife and two children and shares apartment space with his wife’s mother. His chance for a new kidney was complicated by dental decay and poor oral health. 

Due to the risk of infection, Charles’ surgeon would not perform the transplant surgery until Charles had successfully addressed his dental issues. Charles’ wife is a Family Healthcare patient, so she called and explained the situation. 

We immediately scheduled Charles for an exam and consultation. After three dental appointments and within two weeks of surgery, Charles had nine fillings and seven tooth extractions.

The kidney transplant surgery was performed as planned, and Charles is doing very well now. It’s not an overstatement to say that grant funds from the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation helped to save Charles’ life. Thank you. 

Sincerely,
Family Healthcare of Hagerstown

2017 community giving tops $9 million

Our Delta Dental Community Care Foundation was exceptionally active in 2017. Foundation grants totaled more than $9.2 million, including the following:

• $1 million for disaster and emergency relief efforts
  • A new, state-of-the-art mobile dental clinic bus for PennSmiles, the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine’s community program, allowing supervised dental students to treat thousands of children in the Philadelphia area
  • America’s ToothFairy: National Children’s Oral Health Foundation®, supporting oral health services and education in Los Angeles County and New York
  • Mission of Mercy events in Florida, Maryland and Texas
  • Dental student scholarships

The Delta Dental Community Care Foundation is our philanthropic branch that provides grants to nonprofit community clinics and health care programs that  strive to improve oral health for underserved children and adults through treatment and education.

Our group of Delta Dental member companies includes Delta Dental of California, Delta Dental Insurance Company, Delta Dental of New York, Inc., Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and affiliates. We are part of a group of companies under common management that collectively cover 36 million people in 15 states plus the District of Columbia.

Saving trees, changing history

Traditionally, dental insurance has been a paper-intensive business. We’re changing that by making great strides, year after year, to embed efficiency and sustainability into everything we do.

We’re committed to:

• Supporting dentists and enrollees with easy-to-use and real-time online services, which help us work together to make a positive impact on the environment.
  • Operational efficiency by continually reducing our energy, water and paper consumption, and our carbon footprint.
  • Responsible business practices, including environmentally preferred purchasing. In 2016, dentists and enrollees who chose to go paperless, along with other paper suppression processes we implemented, helped us achieve estimated environmental benefits equivalent to:

6,900 trees saved

145 cars taken off the road for one year

10 swimming pools of water saved

10 garbage trucks of solid waste prevented

Read our full Efficiency and Sustainability Report.

Use Provider Tools! Watch quick “how to” videos and get started today.

Environmental impact estimates were made using the Environmental Paper Network Paper Calculator Version 3.2.1. For more information visit papercalculator.org.

Hispanic initiative reaches more than 39,000 children

Rantoncito Perez, the Hispanic version of the Tooth Fairy (and main character in our Hispanic program), visited 39 school districts in California, Florida, Georgia, New York and Texas.

Rantoncito taught more than 39,000 young children how to take care of their teeth. This program helped advance our mission to increase access to oral health in a culturally sensitive way.

Check out our downloadable, free oral health materials in Spanish and English!

« Older posts Newer posts »

© 2021 FYI

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑